On Friday, House Republicans named the committee ranking members for the 116th Congress. Republican leadership will look a bit different come next year, especially atop some of the most influential panels. Rep. Kay Granger (R-TX, 12th) was selected as ranking member of the powerful House Appropriations Committee, where she will likely serve alongside Representative Nita Lowey (D-NY, 17th), which will mark the first time the committee will be led by two women.
Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC, 10th) will lead his party on the House Financial Services Committee, where he currently serves as vice chair. As the top Republican, he will face off with likely Chairwoman Maxine Waters (D-CA, 43rd) as she seeks to impose more rigorous oversight on the financial sector. As ranking member of the Judiciary Committee, Rep. Doug Collins (R-GA, 9th) will try and stop any investigations into the Trump Admiration once likely Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-NY, 10th) takes the reins as chair of the influential committee.
After dropping out of the race to lead the Judiciary Committee, Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH, 4th) was selected as the top Republican on the Oversight and Government Reform Committee. His peer on the House Freedom Caucus, Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC, 11th), was the front-runner to lead the investigative body as the most senior member on the committee but bowed out to clear the way for Rep. Jordan.
Full list of Republican Ranking Members for the 116th Congress:
- Agriculture: Rep. Mike Conaway (R-TX, 11th)
- Appropriations: Rep. Kay Granger (R-TX, 12th)
- Armed Services: Rep, Mac Thornberry (R-TX, 13th)
- Budget: Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR, 3rd)
- Education and the Workforce: Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC, 5th)
- Energy and Commerce: Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR, 2nd)
- Financial Services: Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC, 10th)
- Foreign Affairs: Rep. Michael McCaul (R-TX, 10th)
- Homeland Security: Rep. Mike Rogers (R-AL, 3rd)
- Judiciary: Doug Collins (R-GA, 9th)
- Natural Resources: Rob Bishop (R-UT, 1st)
- Oversight and Government Reform: Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH, 4th)
- Science, Space and Technology: Rep. Frank Lucas (R-OK, 3rd)
- Small Business: Rep. Steve Chabot (R-OH, 1st)
- Transportation and Infrastructure: Rep. Sam Graves (R-MO, 6th)
- Veterans’ Affairs: Rep. Phil Roe (R-TN, 1st)
- Ways and Means: Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX, 8th)